TWO OF the Philippines most powerful persons are now under self-quarantine, along with politicians and thousands of Filipinos as the country’s health authorities are battling the spread of the deadly coronavirus disease, of Covid-19.
The chief of the armed forces, General Filemon Santos, has been tested positive for the virus, according to Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Friday. Lorenzana said he would also go on self-quarantine after having direct contact with Santos, although he has no symptoms of the Covid-19.
Military doctors will monitor Santos’ condition while under quarantine in his quarters where he will continue to dispose his duties and assisted by his Vice Chief of Staff, Vice Admiral Gaudencio Collado, Jr. and Deputy Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Erickson Gloria.
Those who also have contacts with Santos were also told to go on self-quarantine for 2 weeks.
Many lawmakers are also under self-quarantine after some of them tested positive for the virus. The Philippines now has over 800 Covid-19 cases with at least 54 deaths, including 10 doctors, and the number of infected people continue to increase with no signs of the virus contamination slowing down.
President Duterte - who was tested negative for the Covid-19 - has imposed a lockdown on the entire Luzon Island with Visayas and Mindanao also under enhanced community quarantine as local governments struggle to control the spread of the respiratory disease and ensure the ample supply of provision is unhampered by strict health protocol.
The Covid-19, now a global pandemic, broke out in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year, and quickly spread to over 100 countries with China recording over 81,000 infections and more than 3,200 deaths. (Mindanao Examiner)