Maj. Gen. Rustico Guerrero, who will become the new chief of the Western Command (photo from the Philippine Marine Corps website)
MANILA, Philippines -- Marine Corps commandant Major General Rustico Guerrero will take over the Western Command, which oversees the defense of the West Philippine Sea.
Guerrero will take over the Puerto Princesa City-based Westcom from Lieutenant General Juancho Sabban on April 1, Monday.
Before becoming Marine commandant, Guerrero, a member of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) "Dimalupig" Class of 1981, commanded Joint Task Force Comet, the anti-terrorism unit based in Jolo, Sulu.
Guerrero earned his Masters of Military Study and Command and Staff College from the Marine Corps University in Quantico, Virginia.
Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos also announced other designation in the military:
- Brigadier General Romeo Tanalgo, the current chief of the AFP Command Center, will be appointed as the new Marine commandant. Tanalgo is a member of the PMA "Matikas" Class of 1983
- Colonel Oscar Lactao of PMA Class 1984 will replace Tanalgo. Lactao is currently the commander of the 303rd IB, 3th ID
- Colonel John Aying will replace Lactao as 303rd IB commander
- Brigadier General Cesar Dionisio Sedillo will be the chairman of the GRP-MILF Coordinating Committees on the Cessation of Hostilities
- Brig. Gen. Ricardo Visaya will replace Sedillo as the new Assistant Division commander of the 6th ID
- Col. Raul Farnacio will replace Visaya
- Navy Captain Virgilio Garcia will be the new Naval Internal Auditor
- Navy Captain Jorge Amba will be the Assistant Commandant and Dean of Academics, AFP Command and General Staff College
- Brig. Gen. Glorioso Miranda is the new commander of the General Headquarters and Headquarters Service Command
- Col. Marcial Constante Jr. is the new AFP Provost Marshall General