The wife of the soldier who was beheaded by extremist group Maute last week has accused the military of not immediately retrieving her husband's body during the armed conflicts in Lanao del Sur, a "24 Oras" report said on Thursday.
"Tanggap ko na namatay siya dahil sa giyera pero yung ginawa kasi, yung mga kasamahan niya, hindi sya kinuha. Siniguro lang yung baril," said Analiza Cubillas, wife of slain Corporal Enjel Cubillas, in the report by GMA News' Ian Cruz.
Cubillas also narrated that someone used her husband's phone and called to inform her that Corporal Cubillas' head was fed to a pig.
But the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) denied Cubillas' claim, saying the soldier's head was already recovered from the Maute group's camp and was then turned over to his family.
At least three government soldiers and 24 militants died from clashes that started after the group, a sympathizer of terror group ISIS, attacked a military detachment in Butig town last Feb. 20.
Thousands of residents had to escape the deadly fighting. The military is conducting a clearing operation so that the locals can return to their homes soon.