In a text message, Brig Gen. Demy Tejares, commander of Joint Task Force ZamBaSulTa, said Monday that this was the result of the renewed offensive against Abu Sayyaf that started Friday last week that has so far killed three Abu Sayyaf men with seven government troopers wounded.
"The remains of another suspected terrorist and at least eight improvised explosive devices were recovered within the hastily abandoned Abu Sayyaf camp during Saturday's continuation of clearing operations," said Tejares.
Meanwhile, Major Filemon Tan, spokesman of the Western Mindanao Command, said the Abu Sayyaf camp was situated just five kilometers from an MILF containment area.
According to him, the MILF also has a temporary camp in the area where some Abu Sayyaf members are believed to loiter there.
"Apparently the MILF has become fed up by the Abu Sayyaf presence, and were the ones to put their foot down and say the ASG has to go," Tan said.
Tan said the joint forces of the 18th Infantry Battalion and 200 Barangay Peacekeeping Action Team members militiamen from the local governments of Sumisip, Tuburan, Akbar and Al-Barka towns joined forces with the MILF in assaulting the Abu Sayyaf group last Saturday.
"The joint government and MILF forces initially clashed with 20 Abu Sayyaf militants about 6:20 in the evening Saturday. Sporadic firefight went until Sunday as the joint government forces, BPAT and the MILF flushed the Abu Sayyaf group from their stronghold,” he said.
Tan said the operating forces overran the camp about 10:40 a.m. on Sunday and a clearing operation was launched to rid the area of improvised bombs and booby traps. Two militiamen were injured when an IED was tripped during the clearing operation. They were airlifted to a military hospital in this city for treatment.