THE New People's Army (NPA) rebels may soon release the two soldiers earlier abducted after Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte negotiated for their freedom.
In his television program "Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa" Sunday, Duterte said he had already negotiate for safe the release of the two soldiers.
He added that the rebels will most probably release them this week.
The two soldiers, who were abducted on September 30 at a checkpoint in Monkayo town in Compostela Valley, were Private First Class (PFC) Niño L. Alvaro and PFC Marjon S. Anover, both of the Philippine Army's 25th Infantry Battalion.
Aris Francisco, spokesperson for the NPA's Comval-North Davao South Agusan Sub-Regional Command, earlier said the two came from the Army’s headquarters in Monkayo and on their way to a combat operation when captured.
The rebels seized two caliber.45 pistols from Alavaro and Anover, respectively, during their checkpoint around 1 p.m. in Barangay Casoon in Monkayo.