Wednesday, August 9, 2017

P3-M reward in Roxas blast case remains unclaimed: city

From the Mindanao Times (Aug 8): P3-M reward in Roxas blast case remains unclaimed: city

THE P3 MILLION reward dangled by the local government for the successful prosecution of the suspects in the Roxas night market bombing has not been awarded yet as the first year of the tragic terror attack is quickly approaching.

City Legal Office head Raul Nadela, Jr., in an interview, said it’s the Office of the City Prosecutor that will decide to whom the P3 million cash would be awarded. “But this will depend on the successful prosecution of the suspects of the blast,” Nadela said.

There are currently 14 suspects identified in the case. Two were dropped from the list of suspects after they submitted extrajudicial confessions. Seven of the identified suspects have been apprehended.

Charges of multiple murder, multiple frustrated murder, and terrorism have been filed against the 12 suspects.

The cases of multiple murder and multiple frustrated murder are being tried at the Branch 33 of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) here, while the cases of terrorism will be handled at RTC’s branch 10.

Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, in earlier interviews, said the local government and private investors have passed the hat and raised the amount to expedite the justice for the 15 slain victims and 69 injured.

The prosecutors, meanwhile, will base their decision on the recommendation of the police and military.

Meanwhile, the local government will be distributing livelihood and cash assistance to the survivors and families of the casualties of last year’s blast.

Nadela said the distribution will be on Friday, August 11, at 10 a.m. at the Grand Men Seng hotel.

According to Nadela, the local government has so far collected around P8 million to P9 million from the bank account set up for the purpose. Around P7 million has already been spent for the families of the 15 slain victims and around 69 survivors who were injured in the blast last Sept. 2, 2016.

Among the recent assistance given by the government was for follow up surgery of some of the survivors. National and local labor agencies have also assisted in linking the victims with jobs.

The victims will receive at least P50,000 in cash, as well as livelihood assistance in a simple ceremony this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.