From InterAksyon (May 10): US warns citizens vs travel to Palawan over ‘credible info’ of terror threats
The United States embassy in Manila has warned Americans against traveling to Palawan citing “credible information” of plans by terrorist groups to carry out kidnappings in the province, one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations.
“The US Embassy has received credible information that terrorist groups may be planning to conduct kidnapping operations targeting foreign nationals in the areas of Palawan Province, Philippines, to include Puerto Princesa City, and the areas surrounding Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park,” the advisory posted on the embassy site (https://ph.usembassy.gov/security-message-u-s-citizens-travel-advisory-palawan-province/) said.
“US citizens are advised to carefully consider this information as they make their travel plans and to review personal security plans, avoid large crowds and gatherings, and remain vigilant at all times,” it added.
Last month, the embassy issued a similar advisory against travel to Bohol, another popular tourist destination, due to threat of terrorist groups.
Soon after, government forces battled a band of Abu Sayyaf gunmen on the Central Visayas island.
The embassy also reminded its citizens of its March 6 Worldwide Caution, which “indicates there is an ongoing threat of terrorist actions and violence against US citizens and interests abroad, including the Philippines.”
“Extremists have targeted sporting events, theaters, markets, mass transportation systems — including airlines, and other public venue where large crowds gather,” the warning said.
It urged Americans to be “mindful of the importance of taking preventative measures to ensure their safety and security while traveling and residing in the Philippines.”