From the Visayan Daily Star (Jul 29): Duterte wants aggressive drive vs. NPA in Negros
President Rodrigo Duterte wants aggressive military operations against the New People's Army in the Negros Island Region, after the series of atrocities committed by the communist rebels, includingthe killing of six policemen and a civilian during their attacks in Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental.
This was disclosed yesterday by Maj. Gen. Jon Aying, 3rd Infantry Division commander, who,with other security officials in the Visayas headed by Lt. Gen.OscarLactao, AFP Central Command chief, held a closed door command conference and late dinner with President Duterte Thursday night in Dumaguete City.
Aying said the president told them that security operations will be focused on the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People's Army, after the Armed Forces of the Philippines liberatesMarawi from the ISIS-inspired Maute terror group.
More than 100 soldiers and policemen,including three Negrenses, have already been killed in Marawi since May.
KaOris, spokesman of the New People's Army, lauded earlier the successful tactical offensives of its forces in Negros and in other parts of the country against government forces, and for allegedly collecting about 300 firearms.
Aying estimates that a battalion-sized unit of the 3ID deployed in Mindanao may return to Negros within one month.
He said the return of Army units to unit will help contain movements of the NPA.
The 3ID has three infantry battalions, that include the 11IB, 15IB and 82IB, deployed in Mindanao.
Aying said the police has been the target of operations by the NPA. Last year, two policemen also died in an ambush in Candoni, while responding to a commotion.
On Thursday, Duterte conferred posthumous awards on sixofficers killed inpolice operation, during his visit to their wake at the City Hall of Guihulngan, Negros Oriental.
He also gave P100,000 in cash assistance, new handguns, smart phones and medals to three injured policemen, who survived the ambush.