From the Daily Express (Jan 3): Supporting Abu Sayyaf: Filipino to know fate Jan 31
Kota Kinabalu: A Filipino teenager, who pleaded guilty to supporting the Abu Sayyaf terror group, will know his fate on Jan 31.
High Court Judge Ravinthran Paramaguru fixed the date for the self-employed teenager on Tuesday for facts and sentencing pending submission of his probation report. The teenager, had on Nov 30, 2017, pleaded guilty to knowingly canvassing support for the militant group via Facebook under the name of 'Abu Tahlaba Al-basilanie' between March 1 and March 6 last year.
The offence under Section 130J(1)(a) of the Penal Code provides for imprisonment for life or jail of up to 30 years, or with a fine and liability of forfeiture of any property used or intended to be used in connection with the commission of the offence.
Earlier, Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Wan Farrah Farriza Wan Ghazali, who stood in for DPP Mohamad Mustaffa P. Kunyalam told the court that a report by the Welfare Department is needed because the accused was still a child during the offence committed.
She added that in the police investigations stated that the accused was 18-year-old and that according to the investigation, he was born on Jan 19, 1999.
Counsel Mohd Nazim Maduarin, representing the teenager, agreed that the accused is still a child offender.
He said the teenager, a Yakan, came to the State illegally from Philippines and had told him that he was born on March 3, 1999.