From the Visayan Daily Star (Jun 26): No terror threat in Visayas: official
The Army commander of the 802nd Brigade based in Ormoc City stressed that despite the presence of armed men in the Visayas, there was no direct threat of terror attacks.
The whole of Visayas is still at Level 1 for terror alert, which means it is not facing threat for any terror attack, Brig. Gen. Francisco Mendoza Jr. said in a telephone interview Friday.
“There are armed men, yes. NPAs (New People's Army) are armed. But no threat for terrorism,” he stressed.
Following the declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao a month ago, various reports reached their office concerning the presence of armed men in different areas, pictured as similar to “terror attackers” in Marawi. Mendoza refuted these, saying all were hearsays.
“All information reaching our office that may pose imminent danger to peace and security are right away verified. So far, these are just hearsays”, Mendoza said.
“As we receive the information, we verify it. But up to now, no firsthand informant has ever drawn details. All of them could not give light to the information spreading around and cannot pinpoint who really met what they referred to as ‘armed' men',” he added.