From the Philippine Information Agency (Jul 27): Army suspends operations against NPAs
KORONADAL CITY, South Cotabato -- The Philippine Army here has suspended offensive military operations against the CPP-NPA-NDF, a military official here confirmed.
"In accordance with President Rodrigo Duterte's declaration of a ceasefire with the CPP-NPA-NDF, we have suspended offensive military operations against the rebel group," Lt. Col. Benjamin Leander, commanding officer of the 27th Infantry Battalion, said in a radio interview on Wednesday.
Lt. Col. Leander, however, clarified that this does not mean withdrawing their presence in the communities.
"We remain vigilant inasmuch as maintaining security remains our prime responsibility," he said. "We are only prohibited from offensive actions.
If attacked, he emphasized, the Philippine Army will have to defend themselves.
Also, he added, the Army will sustain the Peace and Development Outreach Programs in their areas of responsibility.
"So far, we have not monitored anything that would cause concern," he said.
In another interview, Leander revealed that 5 NPA members surrendered to them this month.
27th IB's area of responsibility covers the entire South Cotabato, some parts of Sarangani province and Lutayan town in Sultan Kudarat.