From the Mindanao Times (Jun 12): 2 soldiers abducted in Mati
A soldier and a militiaman were abducted by the members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in Mati City, Davao Oriental on Sunday at 5:30 p.m.
Lt. Col. Miguel Ramon, the commander of the 28th Infantry Battalion, identified the victims as Corporal Johannes Parreno, a member of Alpha Company of the 28th IB, and Cafgu member Dindo Malibay of the 72nd Infantry Battalion.
Ramon said both were travelling back from Mati City to their temporary patrol base in Barangay Taguibo after sending allowance for their respective family when they passed by at a roadblock established by rebels who were posing as military men at Crossing Pising, Purok Dalia, Barangay Buso.
The NPAs left the area after 30 minutes bringing the soldier and CAFGU.
Ramon said the incident scared the residents who immediately informed the unit of the situation.
Troopers of the 28th IB then launched a rescue operation.
“The concerned families of the soldier and CAFGU were also informed,” Ramon said.
Ramon said the NPA’s abduction of members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in non-combat status is a clear manifestation of their desperation and violates the provisions of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Respect for Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law (CARHRIHL).
He urged the members of the rebel group to immediately release the two personnel.
Keeping the soldiers, Ramon warned, is sure to affect the peace negotiations, and it would picture the rebels as peace spoilers.
Maj. Ezra Balagtey, spokesperson of the AFP’s Eastern Mindanao Command, is hoping that the abduction of the two personnel will not affect the peace talks.
Balagtey said it’s the first reported abduction of government troopers since the declaration of Martial Law in Mindanao last year.
In a report given by Chief Insp. Milgrace Driz, the spokesperson of the Police Regional Office XI, revealed that the soldiers were traversing the provincial road from Mati City going to Barangay Taguibo onboard a habal-habal motorcycle.
After they were flagged down, the government soldiers were abducted by around 20 NPA members, allegedly led by Ka Jeg, the commander of Pulang Bagani Command (PBC) 6 of Southern Mindanao Regional Committee (SMRC).