From the Philippine News Agency (May 10): PNP: Reported terrorist threat in Palawan could be diversionary tactic
The reported terrorist threat in Palawan could be a diversionary tactic.
Philippine National Police Public Information Office (PNP-PIO) chief and spokesman Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos on Wednesday said the PNP is looking into the angle that terrorists want authorities to believe that Palawan is their next target but their real intention is to strike somewhere else.
This after the United States Embassy in Manila released a travel advisory warning their citizens in the Philippines of possible "terrorist threat" in Palawan.
Carlos said they are now conducting a validation of the information contained in the US travel advisory.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) had earlier denied that they are the "source" of the intelligence information which was used as basis in the US travel advisory, and that the military has not monitored any "specific threats" in Palawan.
Nonetheless, Carlos assured that government forces in Palawan are implementing appropriate security measures such that aside from the PNP, the headquarters of the AFP Western Command is also based in Puerto Princesa City.
The PNP official pointed out that since the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) attempted to "infiltrate" Bohol province last month, the AFP and the PNP in Palawan have raised their respective alert status against any possible "terrorist threats".