THE Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said a civilian was wounded in an “encounter” last Tuesday between government troops and paramilitary forces in a village in Samar.
In its official statement, the AFP said initially that an undetermined number of “NPA insurgents fired upon Army troops and paramilitary forces conducting a dialogue with residents of Barangay Guindaulan, Rosario, Northern Samar.”
The attack, the AFP said, led to the death of a Pinarican Cafgu Active Auxilliary (CAA) member and the wounding of a resident, two military troops and one CAA.
While the AFP did not name the deceased, it said the wounded civilian was one Raul Estellero, a resident of Barangay 3, Rosario, Northern Samar.
The other wounded were: SSgt. Dionald Opilanda, Sgt. Arnold Miranda and CAA Jonar Estellero.
The AFP claimed an “undetermined number of NPA insurgents was also wounded” in what the government military institution later said was an “encounter.”
The AFP statement said the “encounter” is “another attempt to harass military personnel.”
The statement came nearly a week after the NPA Leonardo Panaligan Command (NPA-LPC) said they are “deeply saddened that civilians were hit” in an ambush that killed eight civilians and a policeman in La Castellana town, Negros on January 27.
“We assure you that those in the NPA unit responsible for what has occurred will be subject to disciplinary action,” the NPA-LPC said in a statement issued on February 9.
The AFP said it “denounced the attacks against civilians perpetrated by the NPAs” that led to the death of 10 and wounding of nine civilians for the month of January alone.
The AFP said in 2012 “the NPAs were responsible for 374 violent incidents that caused the death of 53 civilians over the country. Rounding up the statistics, an innocent civilian was killed by the NPA every week last year.”