From the Philippine Daily Inquirer (Mar 25, 2020): PH military vows to adhere to UN’s call for ‘immediate global ceasefire’ (By: Frances Mangosing)
MANILA, Philippines — Armed Forces of the Philippines chief Gen. Felimon Santos Jr. said Tuesday that the military will heed to the appeal of the United Nations for an “immediate global ceasefire” to protect the most vulnerable in conflict amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
“We could not agree more with the UN SecGen’s call for a global ceasefire,” he said in a statement.
The Philippine government last week declared a unilateral ceasefire with communist rebels, which will last until April 15.
“And the AFP, from its leadership down to the last element on the ground, adheres to it religiously,” Santos said.
While its law enforcement operations against communist rebels continue, the military has shifted its focus on assisting the government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We have trailed our focus on this virulent but unseen enemy that has claimed the lives of 33 of our countrymen and thus far infected 501. And this development pushes us harder,” Santos said.
Communist Party of the Philippines founder Jose Maria Sison, meanwhile, said he is recommending a unilateral ceasefire as a response the UN call.