From the Visayan Daily Star (Jun 26, 2019): Bodies of slain rebels claimed
One of the two New People’s Army rebels killed during their attack of a remote military outpost in Santa Catalina, Negros Oriental, last week was a squad leader of the NPA South East Front, local Army spokesman Capt. Cenon Pancito said yesterday.
Pancito identified him as Antonio Cardinas, alias Marlo, a resident of the place.
He added that the cadaver of Cardinas was claimed by his wife, Joy, while that of the other slain rebel, identified as Warlito Sotabento, a member of the NPA squad unit, was claimed by his parents, Apolinario and Devinia.
Both cadavers were claimed two days after the NPA attack on the military outpost on June 21 in Sitio Kaha, Brgy. Talalac, Santa Catalina, Negros Oriental.
Maj. Gen. Dinoh Dolina, 3rd Infantry Division commander, said in a statement that he regrets the killing of the two rebels, that were due to deceptions and false promises of the NPA and its allied organizations.
Dolina reiterated his call for the remaining NPA members to abandon the armed struggle, as they will gain nothing out of it.
“This incident is just one of the many where the same thing happened. They do not care about you when you’re already dead,” he said, noting also that families of slain rebels did not get any assistance from their group and allied organizations, who had used them.
Another suspected NPA member also died on June 22 in another encounter between 94th Infantry Battalion and 20 communist rebels in Manjuyod, Negros Oriental.