From the Philippine News Agency (Mar 19): Navy to decommission more WW II-era assets
PH NAVY'S OLDEST WARSHIP RETIRED. The BRP Rajah Humabon is one of the last World War-II era vessels which was formally decommissioned by the Philippine Navy in Sangley Point, Cavite on March 15, 2018. (Photo courtesy: Naval Public Affairs Office)
The Philippine Navy (PN) is planning to decommission its remaining World War II-era vessels once additional brand new ships arrive.
This, according to Lt. Sahirul Taib, Philippine Fleet spokesperson, in an interview.
"As soon na may parating tayong ibang vessel, tulad ng inaabangan natin na pagka-deliver ng ating frigate (the pair being constructed by Hyundai Heavy Industries), magkakaroon uli tayo ng desisyon na (i-decommission) yun mga (legacy) vessels (natin) (As soon our other vessels arrive, such as the frigates, we will decide to decommission our legacy vessels)," he said.
The frigates, which will be armed with anti-air, anti-submarine, and anti-surface weaponry, will be delivered starting 2020.
Taib said the PN assets set for decommissioning are the four to five ships belonging to the Malvar-class which are the former Admirable-class minesweepers of the US Navy and converted by the Philippines into patrol corvettes upon transfer during the 1970s.
The decommissioning is also in line with Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana's directive to retire the Navy's remaining World War II-era warships due to their old age and expensive maintenance.
"Yes, my directive is to fast track the decommissioning of World War II vintage ships. They are old and uneconomical to maintain," Lorenzana earlier said.
Last week, the PN retired the BRP Rajah Humabon, a World War II-era escort destroyer, after 38 years of service.