From the Philippine News Agency (Jul 7): PHL condemns barbaric beheadings of Vietnamese
The Philippine government on Friday strongly condemned the barbaric beheadings of two Vietnamese nationals, as it committed to bring perpetrators to justice.
“We condemn in the strongest possible terms this barbaric act carried out by criminal elements preying on innocent civilians,” the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement.
The DFA said it is “greatly saddened” with the discovery of the bodies of two Vietnamese nationals, who were found in Basilan on July 5.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims and stand in solidarity with the government and people of Viet Nam in this trying time,” it said.
The DFA further said the government is resolute in its commitment in ensuring that the perpetrators of such vile act will be brought to justice.
Residents in Sumisip, Basilan province discovered early Wednesday (July 5) the decapitated remains of two of the remaining five abducted Vietnamese sailors.
Col. Juvymax Uy, commander of the Joint Task Force Basilan, identified the remains as those of Hoang Thong and Hoang Va Hai, both crew members of the Vietnamese bulk carrier, M/V Royal 16.
The two slain sailors were among the six crewmen the Abu Sayyaf bandits seized when they hijacked the bulk carrier on November 11, 2016 in the seawater of Sibago Island, Basilan province.
Of the six crewmen, three remain in captivity as one of their companion, Hoang Vo, 28, managed to escape last month at the height of a military air strike.