From the Philippine News Agency (Jun 12): DOJ mulls financial aid for gov't troops in Marawi
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Monday vowed to look into the possible granting of financial assistance from the Board of Claims to soldiers who were either wounded or killed in action in clashes against the Maute terror group in Marawi City.
Aguirre made the statement during when he visited some injured soldiers at Camp Evangelista Army Hospital in Cagayan De Oro City.
Joining Aguirre in his visit to the city are Justice Undersecretaries Antonio Kho Jr., Renante Orceo and Deo Marco.
For this purpose, Orceo, who is in Charge of the Board of Claims was tasked to determine the processing of the possible claims of the soldiers and of their families.
Aside from promising financial assistance by way of the Board of Claims, Aguirre also gave PHP50,000 from his personal funds to the Directress of the Camp Evangelista Station Hospital for the needs of the wounded and recuperating soldiers.
"We cannot thank our soldiers enough for their bravery and gallant acts in the defense of our people in Marawi City. This is least we can do for them," Aguirre said.
Aguire flew to Cagayan De Oro City on Monday to personally oversee the inquest proceedings against arrested members and supporters of the Maute group.
“As we celebrate our Independence Day, we are starting the inquest proceedings for the personalities allegedly involved in the violent attacks on Marawi City and its residents," he explained
"When the perpetrators are brought to justice and are made to suffer the full measure of our laws, the Filipino people can once again be free from fear... Those responsible will be brought to justice," the DOJ chief vowed.
Aguirre said he also met with local prosecutors and checked on their preparations for their temporary office.
The DOJ chief bared that after the inquest proceedings, the high-value suspects would be transferred to Manila for better security.
Last week, the Supreme Court (SC) has designated the Cagayan De Oro regional trial court to handle cases filed against the Maute members and supporters while the military's Camp Evangelista will serve as the detention of the arrested suspects.
Aguirre said that he will request to the high court to reconsider its earlier order and allow the transfer of the trial of the rebellion and other cases to Metro Manila due security concerns and lack of adequate detention facilities.
He made another request after the conduct of ocular inspection by the DOJ delegations in Cagayan de Oro City on Monday.