From GMA News (May 5): Number of Abu Sayyaf intruders in Bohol down to 2 after Saad’s death
Authorities are now searching for just two wounded Abu Sayyaf members in Bohol province, after the death of Saad Samad Kiram alias Abu Saad, a police official said Friday.
"May dalawa pa according to Saad pero parehong may sugat," Region 7 police director Chief Supt. Noli Taliño said in a text message to GMA News Online when asked if there are other bandits they are hunting down on tourist island province of Bohol.
Saad was killed earlier in the day as he was trying to escape while being transported to the Bohol District Jail (BDJ).
Taliño said Saad was supposed to be temporarily transferred to the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology's BDJ. At about 2:30 a.m., after his interrogation at the Bohol Provincial Police Office.
Along the way nagpaalam, magdumi at nag-LBM (loose bowel movement), medyo malayo pa ang jail (kaya) pinayagan but he tried escaped," the police chief said in a text message.
He said the police looked for Saad for two hours after he disappeared.
"Nag-hot pursuit pa for two hours, madilim sa area," he said.
He said Saad suddenly emerged around 4:30 a.m. and tried to grab the firearm of one of his police escorts, and that it was during the grappling that Saad was shot.
"Around 4:30 a.m. Nag-attempt agawan ang isang tropa ng baril, kaya nag-agawan, nabaril," he said.
Saad was arrested Thursday in Tubigon, Bohol.
In a joint statement, the Armed Forces of the Philippines and PNP said they gathered important information from Saad.
"When asked, Saad volunteered valuable information about their plan, composition and capabilities. His revelations confirm the dissolution of the threat in the Province of Bohol," the statement read.
Saad was the subject of a foiled "rescue operation" launched by Supt. Maria Cristina Nobleza and her lover Renoor Lou Dongon.
But police arrested the couple last month as they tried implement the rescue mission.