From InterAksyon (Jul 2): BIFF massing for possible attacks, bombings in Maguindanao - intel report
The Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters is supposedly massing for possible attacks, including bombings, in Maguindanao province, a police intelligence report indicated Thursday.
The report, seen by this reporter, said around 20 fighters, led by BIFF deputy chief operations officer Kamad Tankle Benito, were monitored gathering in the vicinity of Barangay Malingao in Shariff Saidona Mustapha town around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
They were then joined by other fighters under Commander Talio and Commander Zaibodin Pasawilan.
The report said the BIFF is planning to assassinate military and police personnel, particularly from the Special Action Force, and also intend to carry out roadside bombings within the so-called “SPMS box” (for the towns of Shariff Aguak, Pagatin (Datu Saudi), Mamasapano and Shariff Saydona), the area where a month-long military “all-out offensive” against the rebels earlier this year was concentrated.
The BIFF broke away from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front a few years ago over differences in the direction peace talks with government were going.
The MILF signed a peace deal with government last year while the BIFF says it is committed to establishing an independent Islamic state in Mindanao.