From ABS-CBN (Jun 21): Palace still 'interested' in peace talks with Reds
Malacanang said it is still open to resuming the peace talks with communist rebels.
In a radio interview, Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said the government is “open and interested” in going back to the negotiating table with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its negotiating arm, the National Democratic Front.
“Patuloy pong bukas at interesado po tayong makipagtalakayan, at bukas din po tayo sa pagsisimula muli o resumption ng formal talks,” he said.
He said Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Teresita Deles and Undersecretary Manny Bautista of the Cabinet Cluster on Security, Justice and Peace were in Loreto, Agusan del Sur last June 3 to welcome 150 former communist rebels back to civilian life.
Deles hailed them as peace and development partners, amid the stalled peace talks with the CPP. The Reds declared during their 45th anniversary last year that they don’t want to pursue negotiations on the back of the Aquino administration’s “unwillingness to negotiate a just peace.”
“Ang ating pamahalaan po ay nais isulong ‘yung prosesong pangkapayapaan at patuloy pang sinusuri ang iba pang posibilidad para sa pormal na pagpapanumbalik o resumption ng negosasyon sa pagitan ng gobyerno at ng CPP-NPA-NDF,” Coloma said.