From the Manila Bulletin (Nov 24): 2 killed, scores wounded in Agusan clashes
An Army soldier and a suspected communist insurgent were killed while undetermined number of rebels was believed wounded when two separate gunbattles erupted between government security forces and New People’s Army (NPA) rebels in Agusan del Sur province, military reported Monday.
Killed in action was identified as certain Private First Class Garcia of the 9th Special Forces Company (9th SFC) while identity of the slain NPA rebel was not yet established as of press time.
Capt. Patrick Martinez, regional Army spokesman of the Northeastern and Northern Mindanao 4th Infantry (Diamond) Division, said troops of the 9th SFC also believed that they were able to inflict more casualties on the enemy after they saw bloodstains at the scene of the clashes and at the escape route taken by the rebels.
He said the encountered rebels were believed regular fighters of the CPP-NPA Northeastern Mindanao Regional Committee (NMRC).
“This is also part of the continuing wide and massive pursuit operation following the seizure of 2 NPA camps previously,” Martinez said.
According to him, Garcia was killed at the height of a heavy gunbattle that occurred at 11:45 a.m. the other day in Candi-isan area.
The encounter lasted for almost 35 minutes before the rebels hastily withdrew to the nearby mountainous area at Sitio Candi-isan, Barangay Mahagsay, San Luis town of Agusan del Sur.
“Our troops inflicted several casualties on the retreating NPA’s,” claimed Martinez, quoting a flash report from the field.