From ABS-CBN (Jan 2): Palace: Military ready against threat of CPP attacks
Malacañang said the government continues to work for inclusive growth by generating jobs and helping the poor in response to the reported statement of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) that more mass struggles against the administration are to be expected this year due to corruption, poverty, and environmental degradation, among others.
In a press briefing on Thursday, Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Sonny Coloma also said the administration is ready to listen to those who have concrete and "meaningful" ideas and proposals that can support the government's reforms.
"The government remains focused and committed to attaining the goal of inclusive growth by creating more employment and extending social protection to the most needy. We acknowledge that there are those who differ with us in the way they view the economy. As the President said in his New Year's message -- and I quote -- 'Our minds remain open and we are always ready to listen to those with meaningful ideas and proposals that can help to expand and make permanent our reforms,'" Coloma said.
"Meron po talagang ibang mga sektor na meron silang ibang pananaw at ginagagalang naman po natin 'yon. Nagkakaiba po kasi sa ginagamit na batayan at sa mga premise. Ganun pa man, bukas po ang administrasyon na pakinggan kung meron silang mga kongkretong panukala na maaaring humantong sa mas makabuluhang mga reporma," he added.
Nonetheless, the Palace said the military stands ready against threats from the CPP to intensify attacks this year.
"Siyempre po tutugunan 'yan ng ating mga security forces and law enforcement authorities sapagkat tungkulin po ng Sandatahang Lakas na ipagtanggol ang ating mga mamamayan at panatilihin ang kaligtasan ng ating mga komunidad," Coloma said.
But he also clarified that the Palace remains open to holding peace talks with the CPP - New People's Army - National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF).
"Hindi po nawawalan ng pag-asa o ng determinasyon ang ating pamahalaan na malampasan kung ano man 'yung mga hamon na nagsisilbing balakid dahil isa pa rin po 'yan sa mga peace table ng ating pamahalaan."
Sinisikap po nating maisulong ang kapayapaan hindi lamang doon sa Mindanao kundi sa iba't iba pang mga larangan at kasama na po diyan 'yung pakikipag-ugnayan o pakikipag-negosasyon sa CPP-NPA-NDF para po maresolba ang matagal nang usapin hinggil diyan," Coloma said.
In its 45th anniversary statement last week, the CPP called on its supporters to push for the ouster of President Benigno Aquino III amid his alleged faults against the nation.
It said the Aquino government is no different from other regimes, contrary to what it has trumpeted when it came into power.
The CPP also blasted the government for its supposed unwillingness to pursue real peace.