Tuesday, May 21, 2013

3 soldiers killed in Albay ambush

From the  Philippine Star (Mar 21): 3 soldiers killed in Albay ambush

LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Three soldiers were killed while another was wounded in an ambush believed staged by New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas in Camalig town, Albay yesterday morning.

Lt. Col. Andrew Costelo, commanding officer of the 2nd Infantry Battalion, said nine soldiers were on patrol in Sitio Sta. Lucia, Barangay Maninila when they hit a landmine at past 8 a.m.

The explosion was followed by a firefight after some 40 rebels positioned at the area fired at the troops. The fatalities were identified as Corporal Sandy Seniadan and Privates First Class Jaypee Cotez and Roderick Barrameda,while the wounded was Private First Class Ruel Soltes.

Maj. Angelo Guzman, of the 9th Infantry Division, said the ambush was staged near the construction site of the Southern Luzon International Airport in Camalig.

He said the troops were tasked to secure the airport construction site, which was also attacked by the rebels last year.

Costelo said at the height of the firefight, the rebels took the K3 squad automatic weapon and two M16 rifles of the slain soldiers.

The attack came a week after the pullout of the troops deployed to secure the elections in Bicol.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.