From the Philippine News Agency (Nov 26): 5 NPA rebels yield in Sarangani, turn in high-power firearms
Five New People’s Army (NPA) rebels have surrendered to government troops in Kiamba town, Sarangani Province following a series of operations by the Army there.
Lt. Col. Jones Otida, commanding officer of the Army’s 27th Infantry Battalion, said on Monday the rebels yielded voluntarily along with their firearms to their unit last Friday in Barangay Nalus, Kiamba.
Otida said the rebels surrendered two M14 rifles, a Garand rifle, a 12-gauge Browning shotgun, an M79 grenade launcher, three hand grenades, and two 40mm rifle grenades.
The Army official attributed the surrender to the series of joint operations in the boundaries of Sarangani and South Cotabato provinces since last week, with the participation of the elements of the 1204th Sarangani Police Mobile Force Company.
He also cited the raid last Nov. 17 on a suspected NPA safe house in Sitio Blo-lahak, Barangay Klobe in Lake Sebu, South Cotabato that resulted in the recovery of four high-powered firearms.
Otida tagged the rebels, who were under the NPA’s Front 73, as behind the burning last Nov. 9 of heavy equipment in Sitio Lamfinik, Barangay Tasiman in Lake Sebu.
“They appeared deeply demoralized because of our relentless pursuit operations,” he said.
Otida said the series of military operations shows the “untiring commitment of government forces in keeping communities safe and secure from violent ideologies.”
Brig. Gen. Roberto Ancan, 1002nd Brigade commander, said the surrenderers will be enrolled in the government's Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (E-CLIP) for them to receive immediate welfare assistance, livelihood assistance, and incentives for the surrendered firearms.
"Let these successes inspire those who still bear arms on waiving their abysmal struggle of rising through violent acts and to champion progress through peaceful collaborations," Ancan said.