From the Philippine News Agency (Jun 22): Military wants public assistance in beating terror threats
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is urging the public to report the presence of suspicious looking individuals and packages to authorities as part of efforts to curb terror threats in Metro Manila and other parts of the country.
In the same vein, AFP public affairs office chief Col. Edgard Arevalo said they also coordinating with the Philippine National Police (PNP) to further beef up the security of the metropolis.
Arevalo added that measures are already instituted but the AFP still needs the help of the civilians to make these foolproof.
And when asked why the military is not sharing all the information, the AFP official said this is because they don't want to cause panic.
The AFP public affairs office chief also assured the public that security forces are doing their job in going after local terrorists.
Earlier, AFP spokesman Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla they have not so far receive any intelligence information that members of the Maute Group are planning to conduct bombings in Metro Manila.
He issued this statement following the circulation of a memorandum coming from the Valenzuela Police Station-Station Intelligence Branch of the alleged Maute plot to conduct bombings in Trinoma, SM Cubao, and Quezon City Circle, all in Quezon City and certain places in Quiapo, Manila and Makati.